Fonds 1236 - Hachshara Farms Fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Hachshara Farms Fonds

General material designation

  • Textual record

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

CA JPL-A 1236

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1924 - 1961 (Creation)
    Creator
    Hachshara Farms Inc.

Physical description area

Physical description

0.15m of textual records

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(1945-)

Administrative history

Hachshara Farms Inc., was incorporated in charter papers in 1945 and headquartered in Montreal on Esplanade Avenue. The organization was founded to provide a training farm for young Jews hoping to become agrarian pioneers in Palestine. The organization was sponsored significantly by the Labour Zionist movement. The farm was located in Smithville, Ontario - Gore Township. In a 1949 Montreal Gazette article, the farm was described as having, "6000 hens, 35 Holstein cattle and several pair of horses as well as ducks, rabbits and bees." The farm also had an orchard and significant and modern farming equipment on which students, both men and women, learnt agricultural science. Students attended the training farm free of charge and lived in a collective-style organization. Courses in cooking, horticulture and landscaping were also available. Modern Hebrew was also taught, mainly during the winter months.

In 1947, Hachshara farms opened a second training farm of 695 acres at Ste. Julie-de-Vercheres, approximately 15 miles from Montreal.

Custodial history

Possibly donated by Barney Aaron.

Scope and content

Consists of legal documents, correspondence and financial information about Hachshara Farms.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

  • English
  • Yiddish

Script of material

  • Hebrew
  • Latin

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number

Standard number

Access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

    Script of description

      Sources

      Accession area