Fonds 1349 - Akiva School Collection

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Akiva School Collection

General material designation

  • Textual record

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

CA JPL-A 1349

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

Physical description area

Physical description

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(1968-)

Biographical history

Akiva School is a private Montreal Jewish day school founded in 1968 by Rabbi Dr. David Hartman and a group of parents. The school's original location was at the Snowden YM-YWHA, located on the corner of Westbury and Cote Ste-Catherine.

After moving from its Snowden location to the Beth El Synagogue in Town of Mount Royal, the school experienced several years of declining enrollment and budgetary restraints. In 1988, the school moved again, this time to the school building attached to the Shaar Hashomayim Synagogue. A more central location, coupled with new leadership, stabilized the school and rapid growth soon followed.

The school was founded on a vision of being a community that "inspires lifelong learning, religious growth, an enduring connection to the Jewish people and the State of Israel, and a commitment to making the world a better place." Akiva school offers education from kindergarten to grade six, following provincial curriculum as well as Judaic Studies (including Hebrew). A Section Francaise was added to the school to accomodate students who did not meet provincial elgibility requirements for an English school certificate.

As of 2009, the school had an enrollment of 350 students.

Custodial history

Regular accurals transferred from Akiva School directly to the Jewish Public Library Archives.

Scope and content

Consists of the M'Dor le Dor/Generation to Generation projects completed by the grade five students of Akiva School.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

  • English
  • Hebrew

Script of material

  • Latin
  • Hebrew

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres

Physical storage

  • Shelf: 7-1F, Ctn. 001