Affichage de 1681 résultats

Notice d'autorité
Monk, Lorraine, 1922-2020
Personne · 1922-2020

Lorraine Monk (née Spurrell) was born on May 26, 1922 in Montreal. She was a Canadian photographer and executive producer of the Photo Service (later Still Photo Division) of the National Film Board of Canada. She commissioned photography projects that chronicled the life and culture of the peoples of Canada. She also founded the Canadian Museum of Photography in Toronto in 1985.

Roback, Lea, 1903-2000
Personne · 1903-2000

Activist and organizer, Lea Roback was born on November 3rd, 1903 in Montreal. She was the second of nine children of Fanny (1885-1973) and Moses (1870-1935) Roback, both of whom immigrated from Poland. She spent her childhood in Beauport, Quebec where her parents ran a general store.

The Robacks spoke Yiddish at home; outside of the home they spoke French or English. Lea was able to switch freely between languages, a skill that became useful in work with labour organizations. When Lea was fourteen the family returned to Montreal where, two years later, she began working in the city's factories. It was at this point that she became acutely aware of the inequality between Montreal's affluent English-speaking families and the mostly French and Jewish working class.

In the mid-1920s, Lea spent a two years at the University of Grenoble in France, supporting herself by privately teaching English to students. In 1928, Lea joined her older brother Harry in Berlin where he was studying medicine. She enrolled at the University of Berlin studying Sociology and German. Lea became involved with left wing student groups and eventually joined the Communist Party.

In 1932 Lea returned to Montreal, finding work as a youth group director at the Young Women’s Hebrew Association, where her mentor was Saidye Bronfman, wife of Sam Bronfman. In 1935 she managed the Modern Bookshop on Bleury Street, the first Marxist bookstore in Quebec, which became a gathering place for local radicals. That same year Lea coordinated Fred Rose's bid for election. Eight years following this campaign, Rose became the first communist elected to the House of Commons.

In 1936 she was recruited by Thérèse Casgrain, legendary women’s suffrage leader, to assist in her work to obtain the vote for women in Quebec. Lea also became involved with the International Ladies Garment Workers’ Union (ILGWU) during their attempts to improve conditions in the garment industry. In 1937, Lea was a leader – along with organizers such as Rose Pesotta and Bernard Shane – in organizing over 5,000 women who walked off the job from the garment industry factories of Montreal.

During the war years, Lea began working for the Radio Corporation of America (RCA) and became an organizer for the United Electrical Workers, where she was a business agent for the 3,000 RCA workers in Montreal.

Lea was an active advocate for social justice and human rights for the majority of her life. She was affiliated with numerous organizations in Montreal including the Québec Aid to the Partially Sighted, the Voice of Women, as well as anti-nuclear and anti-war groups. Lea was a continual presence within the ranks of various organizations, passing out leaflets, demonstrating, providing support and lending her respected voice to many causes.

Haynt
Periodical · 1906-1939

Founded in 1906 as the Yidishes Tageblat ("Jewish Daily News") and renamed in 1908, Haynt ("Today") was a Yiddish daily newspaper published in Warsaw until 1939. It was quickly recognized as the premier Yiddish-language newspaper in Poland.

Der Tog
Periodical · 1914-1953

Der Tog ("The Day") was a daily Yiddish newspaper published in New York City with a weekly English supplement. Following a merger with the Morgn Zshurnal ("Morning Journal"), the title was succeeded by Der Tog-Morgn Zshurnal (officially translated as "The Day-Jewish Journal").

Tsukunft
Periodical

Di Tsukunft is a U.S. Yiddish monthly newspaper, which was founded in New York City in 1892. Still in activity, it is the longest running Yiddish periodical in the world.

It was originally founded as an organ of the Socialist Labor Party, before becoming a part of the Forverts publishing house. It published in his pages works by most of the Yiddish writers of note in North America in the course of its long history.