Showing 89 results

Authority record
Abraham Reisen School
School · 1920-[2005]

The Abraham Reisen Schools were Jewish afternoon schools founded by the Workmen's Circle group, and named after the famous Yiddish poet Abraham Reisen. The first school in Montreal was established in May 1920 in the Mile End, with a second school opening by 1924 at the Workmen’s Circle centre. However, it was in 1941 that the institution which became known as the Abraham Reisen Schools was established. By 1957, there were three schools with approximately 300 students. The last school closed in the early 2000s, with the final course for adults ending in 2005.


Baron de Hirsch Institute
Corporate body · 1891-

In 1863, the Young Men's Hebrew Benevolent Society (YMHBS) was formed by young unmarried men with the desire to help Jews in need. The Society also allowed the young Jewish men of Montreal to get to know each other better and care for their social welfare needs. By 1882, the Society could not cope financially with the influx of immigrants arriving from Russia, most who were destitute and had no other means of support. The YMHBS appealed to Baron Maurice de Hirsch and in 1891, the new Baron de Hirsch Institute opened and was dedicated to the purpose of a "Free School for the poor children of the Jewish faith and a home for sheltering distressed immigrants and orphans." In 1900, the Baron de Hirsch Institute enlarged its sphere and, in recognition of their namesake's generous support, obtained a new charter of incorporation under the name Baron de Hirsch Institute and Hebrew Benevolent Society of Montreal. In 1917, because of the overlapping of charitable and philanthropic work in the community, the Federation of Jewish Philanthropies (today's Federation CJA) was founded and began operation out of the Baron de Hirsch Institute building. The Baron de Hirsch Institute in turn became one of the agencies of the new organization; continuing its activities with the religious school, a library, cemetery management, family welfare, legal aid and the Hebrew Court of Arbitration.

Beth David Congregation
Synagogue · 1886-1965

The Beth David Synagogue was formed by Romanian Jews who immigrated to Canada in the 1880's. Beth David merged with the Tifereth Jerusalem of Cote St. Luc in 1965, becoming part of Congregation Tifereth Beth David Jerusalem.

Beth Hamidrash Hagadol
Synagogue · 1887-1952

Beth Hamidrash Hagadol, known commonly as the McCaul Street Synagogue, was a conservative synagogue based in Toronto. Established in 1887, the Congregation moved into its more famous McCaul Street location in 1905 and was renamed Beth Hamidrash Hagadol Chevra T'hilim. In September of 1952, the synagogue and its sister synagogue Goel Tzedec amalgamated to form Beth Tzedec.