Showing 19 results

Authority record
Synagogue

Beth David Congregation

  • Synagogue
  • 1886-1965

The Beth David Synagogue was formed by Romanian Jews who immigrated to Canada in the 1880's. Beth David merged with the Tifereth Jerusalem of Cote St. Luc in 1965, becoming part of Congregation Tifereth Beth David Jerusalem.

Beth Hamidrash Hagadol

  • Synagogue
  • 1887-1952

Beth Hamidrash Hagadol, known commonly as the McCaul Street Synagogue, was a conservative synagogue based in Toronto. Established in 1887, the Congregation moved into its more famous McCaul Street location in 1905 and was renamed Beth Hamidrash Hagadol Chevra T'hilim. In September of 1952, the synagogue and its sister synagogue Goel Tzedec amalgamated to form Beth Tzedec.

Chevra Kadisha-B'nai Jacob Congregation

  • Synagogue
  • 1886-

The Chevra Kadisha B'nai Jacob is the result of the amalgamation of two of the oldest Orthodox synagogues in Montreal. The B'nai Jacob (est. 1886) was located first on St. Constant (now called De Bullion), then on Fairmount from 1918 until 1956. The Chevra Kadisha (est. 1893) began as a burial society affiliated with a synagogue. It was incorporated in 1901 and had a variety of locations, until in 1954 members began to plan and build a new permanent sanctuary and community centre. Although the B'nai Jacob merged in the middle of this construction, it was incorporated into the new building's plans. The new synagogue, which also houses an afternoon school and more recently the Creative Social Centre for seniors, opened in 1958.

Source: https://www.cjhn.ca/link/cjhn17

Chevra Shaas Congregation

  • Synagogue
  • [1908]-

The Chevra Shaas Congregation is composed of several merged synagogues, including Chevra Shaas, Adath Jeshurun, Hadrath Kodesh, Shevet Achim D'bet Abraham, and Chaverim Kol Yisrael. Chevra Shaas closed its doors in 2006, and members moved their scrolls to the Spanish and Portuguese Synagogue of Montreal, where they continue to keep their own service.

Clapton Federation Synagogue

  • Synagogue
  • 1919-

The Clapton Federation Synagogue (alternately named Sha'are Shomayim Synagogue, "Gates of Heaven") is an Orthodox Congregation based in London, England. Its building was demolished in 2005, and since then the Congregation has been holding services at the associated Springfield Synagogue.

Congregation Beth Ora

  • Synagogue
  • 1953-

Congregation Beth Ora is a Modern Orthodox synagogue serving the Ashkenazi Jewish community in Saint Laurent, Quebec. It was founded in 1953 under the name "The Jewish Congregation of Saint Laurent" and later changed to "Beth Ora" in 1959.

Congregation House of Israel

  • Synagogue
  • 1953-

House of Israel is an Orthodox synagogue in Sainte-Agathe-des-Monts, Quebec, serving the Laurentian Jewish community. The congregation also hosts a religious school and early learning centre.

Congregation Rodeph Shalom

  • Synagogue
  • 1969-1991

Temple Rodeph Shalom was a synagogue located on 96 Fredmir Street, Dollard-Des Ormeaux, Quebec. In 1991, it was acquired by the Association Sépharade de la Banlieue Ouest de Montréal (Sephardic Association of Western Montreal) and merged into Synagogue Or Shalom.

Congregation Shaar Hashomayim

  • Synagogue
  • 1846-

Congregation Shaar Hashomayim is a synagogue in Westmount, Quebec. Inaugurated in 1846, it is the oldest traditional Ashkenazi synagogue in Canada and the largest traditional synagogue in Canada.

Congregation Shomrim Laboker

  • Synagogue
  • 1914-

Shomrim Laboker was founded in 1914 and set up a synagogue on 717 Cadieux Street. As the congregation grew, the synagogue was moved to 3675 S. Dominique Street and remained there until 1950, when they purchased land on the corner lot of Westbury and Plamondon. In 1954 construction of the synagogue began – during which period services were held in a tent and rented hall until the building was completed. In 1959 Congregation Beth Yehuda joined the congregation, followed shortly by the Austrian Synagogue Shaare Tefillah (est. 1892) in 1960. In 1997 Congregation Beth Medrash Hagadol Tifereth Israel, known as the Mackenzie Street Shul, was also amalgamated.

Results 1 to 10 of 19